Unintentionally Funny, Must Watch Bollywood Movies: Saawariya

Despite what Sanjay Leela Bhansali might have to say, Saawariya is little more than a faithful adaptation of the Tamil movie ‘Iyarkai’, which, in turn, is based on ‘White Nights’ – A short story by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Now, Dostoyevski is one of the great philosophers of the 19th Century…. The founder of 20th Century existentialism… A writer regarded widely as one of the greatest and most influential the world has ever seen. So you might be forgiven for thinking that a movie based on a movie based on an adaptation of one of his works might not be half bad. Well, start seeking forgiveness right now, because this movie is such a diluted piece of storytelling shit, I can actually narrate it in 7 panels.
The Movie Saawariya in 7 Easy Steps

You probably don’t know it yet, but if you haven’t seen the movie, that’s 2 hours of your life I just saved you there.

32 Responses to “Unintentionally Funny, Must Watch Bollywood Movies: Saawariya”

1. Vibha 'the bli blah' Srivastava says:

OMG!!! the simplicity of it all!lol!btw, the panels are blue in color.. Im guessing cz of the setting?

2. urmiraj14 says:

i think this is the best blog post ideas ever!! And since there are soooo many hindi movies to choose from, your imagination can run super-wild :)But each cartoon being in blue is a bit straining on the eyes. I’m gonna wait until you change them before I read this masterpiece..

3. acp says:

Good one, if i had seen your post before watching the movie, i could have saved all the frustration and effort of sitting through it. hehe keep posting

4. haha, i haven’t seen it. but i still want to – because there’s nothing funnier than an unintentionally funny bollywood movie =).I like the blue background, by the way..haha – It took me a while to understand why you used it, haha, but that could be me – I’ve been known to be pretty dense. nice posssttt! =)

5. I have already seen the movie!!Couldn’t you have done this earlier.

Hehe… Apologies for the brash colors… You can probably imagine what sitting through the actual thing is like.. =pHave toned it down now.. Enjoy! =D

7. urmiraj14 says:

i should have guessed why you used that shade of blue early on..count me in as being dense too! :P

8. Prashant says:

Okay… I seriously didn’t get it. Are there two different guys or is the dude constantly changing his hair do and body armour? And why does he moon the audience? This is a really complex movie!

Hehehe, 2 guys.. One is supposed to be Ranbir Kapoor, with the cap, and one is Salman Khan, hence the thick lines for his body… =pWhy Ranbir Kapoor moons the audience… Your guess is as good as mine man.. The scene just shows up randomly in the movie… Much like every other scene in it, really.. =D

10. Radz says:

hahaha.. brilliant!! I had watched the first twenty minutes of the movie and decided not to take the risk.. :) Am glad I came across your blog.. you are great!

11. RamtaJogi says:

That was awesome. I am really glad that I found this blog. I love the way you look at the movie. And I am glad that I watched Sawariya through your comic and not in theater. ;)RJ

12. Reewa says:

Brilliant !! Love it !

13. amit says:

lol !! I saw Sawariya in 2 minutes !! thanks for not allowing me to wail my time !!

but sad that i spend 2 minutes for it :P

14. Ahmed says:

I actually went to sleep probably within 10 minutes into the movie. So thanks to you now I know what I did not miss…

15. Siraj says:

Thanks dude!
    2 hours saved!!

16. Rover Bull says:

Now… how I wish I’d come across you blog before I watched the film.

17. rabia says:

man that was such a badass movie!!! swore never to watch this movie ever again….n dont get me started on the blue setting!!! ugh…but how could u miss the totally random n unimportant role that rani mukherjee plays as a ummm NOBODY! ;)

18. Ali says:

The panel where he moons the audience. Classic! It had me splits for the next half-hour. Awesome!

19. pavan says:

Sawaria in 7 steps! awesom man! iv just spent all of my day on ur blog! immensely entertaining!
    thx

20. Ashish says:

Very funny, If you watch Sawaria you should be paid by the director and producers of the film.

21. priyanka says:

lol..fell asleep after 15 min. of endurin the muvi…:P

22. niharika says:

rofl @ blue panels
    you should have mentioned the prostitute-whom-no-one-could-ever-love :P :P
    great post nonetheless:)

23. Dapoon says:

This has got to be my favourite of all the reviews! The fourth panel absolutely made my day! LMAO!!

24. Nupur says:

I’m reading this in 2011 but honestly….7 blue panels that made my day :D

25. Aditi says:

hahaha!!
    I havent watched the movie…. but WTF !! LMAO!
    Dude, u are friggin awesome! keep it coming!

26. Falooda says:

LMAO! Awesome! :)
    You should have mentioned the lame and silly Rani Mukherji character that has nothing to do with the plot and is not even in the original Dostoyevsky short story! Unbelievably enough, Rani Mukherji was trying to copy RAKHI SAWANT in this movie (and failed badly at it).
    Just goes to illustrate how mind-numbingly bad this movie was.

27. Val says:

the blue panels were priceless- wish the Sallu stick figure looked like the veer one -that would have been awesome!

28. AN says:

This is way too cool! I enjoy these reviews more than the movies.

29. Prateek says:

Sahil,

The pictures are not showing this post. Make them available

30. Rohan Singh says:

The pictures are not visible in the post.